World Heritage Sites in Vietnam
As of 2007, there are 5 UNESCO world heritage sites located in northern and central Vietnam, and 2 intangible world heritages. Following is some basic information:
UNESCO WORLD NATURAL HERITAGE SITES
1. Ha Long Bay in Quang Ninh province - (recognized in December 1994)
Ha Long Bay is made of 1,969 islands of various sizes, 989 of which have been given names. There are 2 kinds of islands, limestone and schist, which are concentrated in 2 main zones: the South East (belonging to Bai Tu Long Bay) and the South West (belonging to Ha Long Bay). This densely concentrated zone of stone islands, world famous for its spectacular scenery of grottoes and caves.
2. Phong Nha - Ke Bang National Park in Quang Binh province - (recognized in July 2003)
Phong Nha - Ke Bang national park (200,000 ha) is one of the world's two largest limestone regions which includes beautiful limestone formations, grottoes and caves.
Phong Nha caves (over 30 caves and total discovered length of 100km) has the longest underground rivers, the largest caverns and passageways, the widest and prettiest sand banks, and the most astonishing rock formations in the world.
UNESCO WORLD CULTURAL HERITAGE SITES
3. Hue Imprerial City in central Vietnam (recognized in December 1993)
Hue served as Vietnam's political capital from 1802 to 1945 under the 13 emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty. Hue's attractions are the splendid toms of the Nguyen emperors, several notable pagodas and the remains of the Imperial Citadel.
4. Hoi An Ancient Town - 30km south of Da Nang city (recognized in December 1999)
The ancient town of Hoi An used to be occupied by early western traders and became one of the major trading centers of South East Asia in the 16th century. It has a distinct Chinese atmosphere with low, tile-roofed houses made of wood and narrow streets.
5. My Son Sanctuary - 69km southwest of Da Nang city (recognized in December 1999)
My Son used to be an imperial city during the Cham dynasty from the 4th to the 12th centuries. It is a large complex of religious relics that comprises more than 70 architectural towers of red brick which were built to reflect the divinity of the king.
INTANGIBLE HERITAGES (Unesco Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritages of Humanity)
6. The royal music in Hue - (recognized in November 2003).
7. The gong (Cong Chieng) in the Central Highlands - (recognized in November 2005).
8. Quan Ho folk songs in Bac Ninh province - (recognized in September 2009)
9. Ca Tru singing in Hanoi - (recognized in October 2009)
1. Red Dragon
Junk, Cruise Halong Bay: 5 cabin boat on
All cruises on
Halong Bay Online,
travel guide, Hanoi Halong Bay Tours, Maps to Halong,
2. Prince Cruise Halong Bay Vietnam: 4 cabin cruise on Halong Bay
3. Jayavarman Cruise on Mekong River Vietnam Cambodia: luxury cruise on the Mekong River
4. Hanoi Airlines: book flight tickets to Hanoi
5. Halong Bay Cruise: list all cruise boats on Halong Bay & Bai Tu Long Bay
6. Hotel Vietnam, Vietnam Hotels: book hotels and resorts in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
7. Laos Travel Guide: book tours in Laos with the New Road Tour
8. Cambodia Travel: useful guides, hotels, flights, tours in Cambodia
9. Phu Quoc Travel Guide: useful information on Phu Quoc Island Vietnam
10. Travel Sapa Vietnam: tours, hotels, maps to Sapa Vietnam
11. Mekong Delta Tours: cruise, hotels, tours in Mekong, Saigon
Other new travel sites
1. Vietnam Travel
Company: First Choice Tours in Vietnam
2. Hue Travel Guide: guide, maps, tours in Hue Vietnam
3. Sapa Travel Tips: Sapa guides, tourist information
4. Mekong River Tours, Mekong Amalotus Cruise, Amalotus Cruise, Amalotus Boat Mekong River
5. Amalotus.com, Amalotuscruise.com, Amalotus Indochina Sails Mekong River
6. Mekong River Boats: Mekong Tours, Mekong River Tours
7. Hoi An Travel Guide: Tours, maps to Hoi An