Travelling from Vietnam to Brunei Darussalam
Hopefully some of the information I post below would be useful if you plan to fly with Air Asia from Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur (KL), and visit Brunei Darussalam.
Flight HN - KL with Air Asia
The flight takes 3 hours and you will arrive at LCCT (Low Cost Carriers Terminal) at mid night. From LCCT to KL Sentral, it takes 60-90 minutes by bus, depending on traffic. You can go by Air Asia's Sky bus (red color) RM 9 one way, or Aero bus (yellow color) RM 8 one way. From KL Sentral to Bukit Bingtang where you can find cheap guesthouses and restaurants, it costs RM 11 by taxi (after mid night till 6am, there will be 50% surcharge), or RM 2.50 by monorail.
The LCCT is an ideal place for anyone who wants to take inexpensive flights. Air Asia flies on 75 routes at present, and many of them go to the major tourist destinations in SE Asia. The airport is quite large and comfortable with fast food and Asian food restaurants as well as shops that open 24 hours.
Brunei Darussalam - the Abode of Peace
Following is address of the Embassy of Negara Brunei Darussalam in Hanoi:
Villa 8-9, Van Bao street, Van Phuc quarter, Hanoi
Visa fee US$12. It takes 5 working days to get a Brunei visa. The Embassy informed me on the 3rd day that my visa application was OK. I think the Embassy cares about financial capability of the visitors to support the stay in their country.
Royal Brunei Airlines flies between Sai Gon and Bandar Seri Begawan (BSB), US$350 + US$50 tax for a round trip. After comparing some options, I decided to fly with Air Asia from Hanoi - KL - BSB, US$322 for 4 flights including taxes.
Flight from KL to BSB takes 2 hours. From Brunei Int'l Airport to the city's center, you can take a taxi B$25 one way or a bus B$1 one way, however the bus often stops working at 6pm. It takes 10-15 minutes to go by taxi from the airport to the city's center. If you walk, it would take 45 minutes as my GH owner said.
In Brunei Darussalam, you can find the cheapest room at B$30/night (US$20) in a guest house, or the most expensive Emperor room at B$26,000/night (US$18,000) in the 7-star Empire Hotel and Country Club. As for food, it costs B$3-5 for a meal. I ate at Indian, Chinese, Bruneian and fast food restaurants.
There are 2 largest mosques in BSB. Both are very famous for the golden dome and beautiful architecture. The museums are interesting places to visit, same as the Kampong Ayer water village. If you take a water taxi to see the village, it costs B$10 for 30 minutes, B$20 for an hour.
I highly recommend you to visit this peaceful country. For more info, pls see this website: Brunei Tourism
Brunei Darussalam is the 10th country, also is the last country in SE Asia that I visited (except East Timor). I saw very few tourists in this country. This may be the most quiet country in SE Asia as the population is only 360,000 people. The highlight of my trip was the meeting with a Bruneian TTer and his aunt. They contacted me just 2 days before my trip then showed me around the city and even saw me off at the airport. Thanks to TT forum for giving me the chance to meet and spend time with them.
1. Red Dragon
Junk, Cruise Halong Bay: 5 cabin boat on
All cruises on
Halong Bay Online,
travel guide, Hanoi Halong Bay Tours, Maps to Halong,
2. Prince Cruise Halong Bay Vietnam: 4 cabin cruise on Halong Bay
3. Jayavarman Cruise on Mekong River Vietnam Cambodia: luxury cruise on the Mekong River
4. Hanoi Airlines: book flight tickets to Hanoi
5. Halong Bay Cruise: list all cruise boats on Halong Bay & Bai Tu Long Bay
6. Hotel Vietnam, Vietnam Hotels: book hotels and resorts in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia
7. Laos Travel Guide: book tours in Laos with the New Road Tour
8. Cambodia Travel: useful guides, hotels, flights, tours in Cambodia
9. Phu Quoc Travel Guide: useful information on Phu Quoc Island Vietnam
10. Travel Sapa Vietnam: tours, hotels, maps to Sapa Vietnam
11. Mekong Delta Tours: cruise, hotels, tours in Mekong, Saigon
Other new travel sites
1. Vietnam Travel
Company: First Choice Tours in Vietnam
2. Hue Travel Guide: guide, maps, tours in Hue Vietnam
3. Sapa Travel Tips: Sapa guides, tourist information
4. Mekong River Tours, Mekong Amalotus Cruise, Amalotus Cruise, Amalotus Boat Mekong River
5. Amalotus.com, Amalotuscruise.com, Amalotus Indochina Sails Mekong River
6. Mekong River Boats: Mekong Tours, Mekong River Tours
7. Hoi An Travel Guide: Tours, maps to Hoi An